Students will learn the knowledge and practical skills required to supervise patrons, aquatic venues or an aquatic activity. Guided by legislation, Australian standards, industry codes of practice as well as organisational procedures, students will develop the knowledge and skills to promote compliance and minimise risk.
Students will also learn to identify and respond to potential hazards and emergencies using discretion and judgement effectively and promptly. This includes responding to unexpected situations requiring pool closure and dealing with breaches of safety rules, managing unsafe patron behaviour and at-risk persons with special needs.
This unit applies to those working in aquatic settings or environments such as swimming pools and other aquatic recreation facilities. This unit of competency stands alone and incorporates the content of the following unit:
- SISCAQU019 - Supervise patron safety in aquatic locations
The following units will be included in your certificate:
An individual undertaking this course with Allens Training Pty Ltd will need to demonstrate the following to be eligible for entry:
- Physical capability to be able to meet the demands of the practical demonstration skills including:
- Visual acuity to scan and patrol the aquatic venue effectively, monitor patron activity and identify hazardous patron behaviours that pose a risk to the individual and other patrons as well as identify emergency situations
- Ability to inform patrons of unsafe behaviour and clearly, courteously and constructively provide information about safety rules to support compliance and safety as well as communicate emergency situations
- Literacy and numeracy skills to be able to meet the demands of the course including:
- Interpret detailed workplace policies and procedures for venue supervision, risk management of patron safety and emergency response
- Provide clear and unambiguous verbal and non-verbal communications to staff, activity leaders and patrons
- Resolve diverse and unexpected safety incidents promptly and decisively
Online study options: The online learning program can be found in the student portal. Students must have access to a computer, smart phone, tablet or other electronic device with access to the internet to complete the online studies and practical assessment.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
This certificate does not require renewal