This course is designed to provide the knowledge and skills required by an individual to provide a first aid response to a casualty in a range of situations and to recognise and respond to situations that require the application of first aid oxygen therapy or oxygen resuscitation, as appropriate, until the arrival of medical assistance. The course can be delivered in any industry where persons may be required to provide first aid and basic oxygen therapy in an emergency situation, as part of their role at work, or in the community.
It is designed and delivered in line with first aid guidelines determined by the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) and other Australian national peak clinical bodies.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
An individual undertaking the Course in Basic Oxygen Administration for First Aid must be able to demonstrate current competence in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation. All participants of this course set will be completing the HLTAID009 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation unit of competency as part of this course and will meet the entry requirement.
Furthermore, an individual undertaking this course with Allens Training Pty Ltd will need to demonstrate the following to be eligible for entry:
- Physical capability to be able to meet the demands of the practical demonstration skills including CPR (CPR must be performed on the floor and rescue breathing techniques demonstrated on manikins, with no exemption)
It is recommended that participants in this course have literacy and numeracy competencies equivalent to the Australian Core Skills Framework Level 2. An example of ACSF Level 2 is being able to request appropriate emergency assistance at the scene of the incident.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
|HLTAID009 - Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation||12 months|
|HLTAID010 - Provide basic emergency life support||36 months|
|HLTAID011 - Provide First Aid||36 months|
|22575VIC - Course in Basic Oxygen Administration for First Aid||12 months|
Assessments conducted during the face-to-face training session(s) include:
Practical scenarios and performance tasks:
- Perform CPR on an adult (incl. the use of an AED and placing a casualty into the recovery position)
- Perform CPR on an infant
- Manage a casualty with anaphylaxis
- Manage a casualty with asthma
- Manage a choking casualty
- Manage a casualty with non-life-threatening bleeding and shock, requiring minor wound cleaning
- Manage a casualty with a nosebleed
- Manage a casualty with a fracture and dislocation
- Manage a casualty with a sprain and strain
- Manage a casualty with envenomation (snake/ funnel-web spider bite)
- Administer oxygen to an adult and child
Documentation: Completion of an incident report form
Theory assessment: A written assessment consisting of short-answer and multiple-choice questions.