An ECO's priority is the safety of facility occupants and visitors during an emergency which means ECO members are responsible for pre-emergency, emergency and post-emergency actions. Careful planning, training and initiation must take place for this to happen safely and effectively. This is done by an Emergency Planning Committee.
If you are a member of an Emergency Planning Committee, then this course is a must for you.
It covers the skills and knowledge required by a member of an Emergency Planning Committee to document and maintain a facility emergency plan, to establish and maintain an emergency control organisation and to operate in accordance with the facility's emergency plan.
It includes initiating emergency response planning, ensuring an emergency control organisation is in place, providing for initiation and control of the initial emergency response, providing for post-initial response activities, planning and implementing emergency control training and providing support in the post response and/or recovery phase.
All aspects of this course will be undertaken in accordance with legislative requirements, organisational policies and procedures and accepted safe practices. The course has been developed to cover occupants and facilities as specified in Australian Standard (AS) 3745 and AS4083. Occupants are people attending a facility on a permanent or temporary basis such as an employee, contractor, student or resident, but not a visitor or patient and a facility is a building, structure or workplace that is, or may be, occupied by people (occupants).
The following units will be included in your certificate:
An individual undertaking this course with Allens Training Pty Ltd will need to demonstrate the following to be eligible for entry:
- Physical capability to complete the practical demonstrations for the course, including:
- Establish and maintain an emergency control organisation
- Document and maintain a facility emergency plan
- Develop, implement and review training in accordance with facility emergency plan
- Ability to assess emergency and initiate action plans and procedures
- Provide debriefing information and compile reports for the emergency planning committee and management
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
This certificate does not require renewal
Prepare and plan for an emergency
- Prepare for an emergency in a facility (complete an extract from an Emergency Plan)
- Perform a safety practice drill
Lead an ECO in a fire emergency
Complete an emergency evacuation incident and debrief form