This unit covers the skills and knowledge required to recognise and assess conditions that require gas testing; test the working atmosphere using an electronic test apparatus and interpret the results to determine if it is safe for the proposed job activity.
This course applies to situations where an individual may be required to perform gas testing prior to entering a specific area or workspace and whilst work is carried out in the workspace. Atmospheric testing is an important component of confined space work as these working environments may be hazardous, unpredictable, subject to time pressure, chaotic and expose responders to risk, on land or water, by day or night.
Situations that require testing might include:
- confined spaces
- enclosed and partially enclosed spaces
- hot work
- storage tanks, silos, pits, pipes, shafts, ducts, transport vehicles and ships
- testing as part of issuing a work permit
- monitoring as part of working under a work permit
- open areas
- holding the gas tester by hand
- lowering the gas tester into a space, e.g. on a line.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
An individual undertaking this course with Allens Training Pty Ltd will need to demonstrate the following to be eligible for entry:
- Protective footwear/safety shoes and comfortable/practical clothing must be provided by the student and worn during the practical sessions and assessment
- Language, literacy and numeracy requirements -students must be able to read and correctly interpret required documentation, speak clearly and unambiguously in English, explain, describe and verify sometimes complex needs and issues and understand the permit requirements. Writing is required to the level of completing workplace forms and producing any required reports. Numeracy is required to the level of being able to correctly differentiate between high and low pressures and temperatures, voltages or masses and interpret and communicate gas test/monitoring results.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
This certificate does not require renewal
Assessments conducted during face-to-face training session(s) include:
Practical scenarios: For a Confined Space scenario , complete the following:
- Prepare for testing
- Test gas
- Interpret readings
- Monitor gas on an ongoing basis
- Communicate required actions to be taken, based on the interpretation
- Maintain equipment
- Maintain records of tests and results in accordance with procedures
Documentation - The student must complete site-based test gas report forms
Theory assessment - A written assessment consisting of short answer and multiple-choice questions. The student must complete all assessment questions.