The course applies to individuals who are required to conduct routine and periodic servicing as well as chain sharpening for fuel, battery, or electrically powered hand-held chainsaws. In addition to removing, sharpening, and replacing the chain and maintaining accurate cutter angles and matching pitches and gauges, this unit includes dismantling, cleaning, inspecting and re-assembling the power head and cutting attachments.
Typically, they are involved in arboriculture, forestry, agriculture, conservation and land management, local government, emergency services and other government agency operations and responsible for maintaining fuel or electrically powered hand-held chainsaws as part of their role.
This unit of competency stands alone and incorporates the content of the following units:
- FWPCOT2254 Maintain chainsaws
The following units will be included in your certificate:
An individual undertaking this course with Allens Training Pty Ltd will need to demonstrate the following to be eligible for entry:
- The visual acuity and manual dexterity to disassemble a chainsaw, sharpen the chain and other components and reassemble the serviced chainsaw components
- Basic skills to interpret and complete workplace documentation, using technical and workplace-specific vocabulary; and consult and coordinate with team members and other appropriate personnel to ensure chainsaw maintenance activities are completed as well as the numeracy skills to calculate ratios and measure quantities of oils and fuels
- It is recommended students wear lace-up steel boots, chain saw trousers or chaps and a three in one helmet (hard hat, wear muffs and visor)
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
This certificate does not require renewal
- Maintain chainsaw (routine & periodic service)
- Check and sharpen two (2) chainsaw chains
- Complete relevant workplace records and forms
- A written assessment consisting of multiple-choice and short answer questions.