This course set will provide you with the knowledge and skills to assess weed infestations, plan, coordinate and implement weed control activities using appropriate integrated pest management strategies. Individuals will also be taught how to monitor the effectiveness of the weed control measures and identify any adverse impact on non-target species.
This includes conducting a site assessment and developing a weed control management plan to provide an effective and economically viable strategy whilst minimising damage to the environment, as well as monitoring, recording and reporting on the effectiveness of the controls.
Anyone who uses hazardous chemicals in their workplace or business needs to be trained in accordance with Occupational/ Work Health and Safety (OHS/ WHS) legislation. This course set is suitable for people that use chemicals in the agricultural, horticulture, conservation and land management industries and require chemical user accreditation.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
- Language, literacy and numeracy requirements - students must be able to read and comprehend chemical labels and Safety Data Sheets (SDS). Writing is required to the level of completing workplace forms and producing any required reports. Numeracy is required to calculate the volume, rate or dosage of chemical(s) to be applied and the amount required to complete the work activity.
- Physical capability to handle and use chemicals and chemical equipment, lift and carry some loads using equipment, and handle chemical spray equipment.
- Visual acuity to distinguish chemical labelling information, identify plant, pet and weeds, and manage outside environments under cold and warm conditions.
- Protective slip resistant footwear/safety shoes and long pants must be provided by the student and worn during the practical sessions and assessment.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
|AHCCHM307 - Prepare and apply chemicals to control pest, weeds and diseases||Not applicable|
|AHCCHM304 - Transport and store chemicals||Not applicable|
|AHCPMG301 - Control weeds||Not applicable|
Performance Tasks and Practical scenarios:
- Respond to the four (4) simulated scenarios provided by your assessor to:
- Identify a range of weeds and beneficial organisms
- Plan and coordinate weed control activities
- Conduct a site hazard identification and a weed management plan
- Apply a range of weed control methods and maintain records
- Monitor, record and report the effectiveness of controls
- Identify the hazards, assess the risks and implement the controls for the handling, storage, transportation and usage of chemicals
- Comply with chemical label instructions and SDS to complete the Chemical Manifest, Application Plan and an Incident Report
- Demonstrate the safe handling, loading, transportation and storage of chemicals
- Ensure the transport vehicle meets regulations and all documentation, signage and emergency equipment are set up correctly
- Demonstrate correct chemical mix preparation, equipment calibration, chemical application and spill clean up
- Complete the tasks in line with Federal, State/Territory regulations, codes of practice, Safety Data Sheets, chemical label directions .and other Australian national peak bodies and workplace or site procedures.
- Completion of a risk assessment form, incident reporting form and a manifest/inventory form
- Completion of two (2) Weed Control Management Plans for 2 different areas
- Completion of two (2) Chemical Application Plans for 2 different scenarios
Theory assessment - A written assessment consisting of multiple-choice and short answer questions. The student must complete all assessment questions.