This unit will provide you with the knowledge and skills to assess weed infestations, plan, coordinate and implement weed control activities using appropriate integrated pest management strategies. Individuals will also be taught how to monitor the effectiveness of the weed control measures and identify any adverse impact on non-target species.
This includes conducting a site assessment and developing a weed control management plan to provide an effective and economically viable strategy whilst minimising damage to the environment, as well as monitoring, recording and reporting on the effectiveness of the controls.
Please note, anyone who uses hazardous chemicals in their workplace or business needs to be trained in accordance with Occupational/ Work Health and Safety (OHS/ WHS) regulations.
The following units will be included in your certificate:
An individual undertaking this course with Allens Training Pty Ltd will need to demonstrate the following to be eligible for entry:
- Language, literacy and numeracy requirements - students must be able to read and comprehend regulations, and other documentation and consolidate information to determine control plans and implement control measures. Writing is required to the level of completing workplace forms and producing any required reports. Numeracy is required to calculate the volumes, weights and measures for application rates of chemicals and materials.
- Physical capability to complete a site assessment in an outdoor environment such as a field; carry, handle and use chemicals and chemical equipment; lift and carry some loads using equipment.
- Visual acuity to identify weeds and non-target species, distinguish chemical labelling information, and manage outside environments under cold and warm conditions.
- Protective slip resistant footwear/safety shoes and long pants must be provided by the student and worn during the practical sessions and assessment.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
This certificate does not require renewal
Assessments conducted during face-to-face training session(s) include:
- Scenario 1 - Assess weed infestation and plan weed control measures to minimise environmental damage
- Scenario 2 - Implement weed control and monitor control measures
Documentation - Completion of two (2) Weed Control Management Plans and a Weed Monitoring form
Theory assessment - A written assessment consisting of multiple-choice and short answer questions. The student must complete all assessment questions.