This skill set is suitable for people that transport, handle, store, prepare and apply chemicals in the agricultural, horticulture, conservation and land management industries and require chemical user accreditation. Anyone who uses hazardous chemicals in their workplace or business needs to be trained in accordance with Occupational/ Work Health and Safety (OHS/ WHS) legislation.
This Skill Set stands alone and incorporates the content of the following units:
- AHCCHM304 Transport and store chemicals
- AHCCHM307 Prepare and apply chemicals to control pest, weeds, and diseases
The following units will be included in your certificate:
- Language, literacy and numeracy requirements - students must be able to read and comprehend chemical labels and Safety data sheets (SDS). Writing is required to the level of completing workplace forms and producing any required reports. Numeracy is required to calculate the volume, rate or dosage of chemical(s) to be applied and the amount required to completed the work activity.
- Physical capability to handle and use chemicals and chemical equipment, lift and carry some loads using equipment, and handle chemical spray equipment.
- Visual acuity to distinguish chemical labelling information, plant and pet identification, and manage outside environments under cold and warm conditions.
- Protective slip resistant footwear/safety shoes and long pants must be provided by the student and worn during the practical sessions and assessment.
Individuals undertaking this course will be expected to complete both written and practical assessment tasks.
This certificate does not require renewal
- Identify the hazards, assess the risks and implement the controls for the handling, storage, transportation, preparation and application of chemicals
- Comply with chemical label instructions and SDS to complete the Chemical Manifest, Application Plan and an Incident Report
- Demonstrate the safe handling, loading, transportation and storage of chemicals
- Select and calibrate equipment to prepare and apply chemicals
- Prepare and apply chemicals as per Application Plan, chemical label, SDS and workplace procedures
Complete the tasks in line with Federal, State/ Territory regulations, codes of practice, Safety Data Sheets, chemical label directions .and other Australian national peak bodies and workplace or site procedures.
Documentation – The student must complete all documentation according to the required standard:
- Complete a Chemical Manifest
- two (2) Application Plans and
- an Incident Report
Theory assessment - A written assessment consisting of short-answer and multiple-choice questions. The student must complete all assessment questions.